Purpose of Role
The Sales Manager is responsible for growing the profitability for their segment across the Wine portfolio by providing a high level of leadership, development and coaching for Business Development Managers (BDM) within their team. Whilst develop, implement and analyse the strategy for the area of responsibility to ensure the National and state Business Plans are achieved.
Manage and leverage relevant TWE commercial and trading initiatives so as to maximise sales and marketing opportunities within a fixed expense budget.
This role will embed a ‘speed to market’ approach in customer leadership and create an environment where all business opportunities are identified and actioned with urgency.
This role will also play a key part in liaising with the local industry.
Key Responsibilities/ Accountabilities:
Field Sales Execution
- Drive segment volume and profit targets by ensuring, through your team, the effective and timely execution of the National and State Business Plans
- Ensure business plans are effectively interpreted; work with the team to cascade business plans priorities into in-field execution plans, call cycles and performance objectives.
- Monitor and contribute to the development of tactics and strategies aimed at responding to competitor activity.
- Work with Sales Operations to ensure that your team has the information and tools they need to execute their plans.
- Monitor and analyse the effectiveness of promotions, capturing information and proactively feeding back to the Customer, Field Sales Manager and Sales Operations.
- Ensure that BDMs have clear sales/category priorities for each drive period
- Ensure clear understanding and effective implementation of the Sales Excellence call principles, including SE Rhythms, Cheers, LAR’s, Call Coverage, Planning for success and opportunity planning and realisation.
Ensure the team have territory and business plan 12 weeks in advance.
Maximise Budget Spend
- Manage all trade related spend to ensure it is maximised and creates business value, in line with the state business plan
- Allocate resources within own team to deliver on business opportunities and create business value
- Identify criteria, utilising insights and foresights on consumers and customers to guide decision making on business agreements
- Establish and reinforce processes for spend management in line with corporate governance and other legislative requirements
- Liaise and network with relevant industry bodies
- Always represent the company in a professional manner and with integrity
- Adopt a flexible approach to change, implementing new ways of doing things quickly and effectively and supporting and leading team through change
- Oversee the management of all aspects of the sales process and team
- Provide the ongoing contact point for sales issues, whether they be internal or external, including such issues as escalated customer queries, distribution issues, or managing peak season demands
Qualifications and Experience:
- Hold a full A class driving license
- Degree in Business, Commerce, or Marketing preferred
- Trade / Liquor knowledge – in particular wine industry experience will be highly regarded
- Experience in dealing with a demanding customer base
- Strong strategic planning skills in order to develop initiatives (sales drivers) to achieve targeted results
- Effective negotiation skills including researching and being clear of the needs of the key stakeholders in the negotiation, and then effectively exploring alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain all stakeholders acceptance.
- Experience in negotiating business agreements
- Capability to overcome customers objections and consistently gain advantage over the competition through superior business proposals and strong persuasive selling skills
- Strong computer skills including Excel, Outlook and Word
- Demonstrated experience in leading a successful team to achieve objectives through skills in performance management, conflict resolution, team building and team motivation
- Demonstrated experience in coaching others to achieve high performance
- Strong business financials understanding, analysis and application
- Strong communication and influencing skills
- Ability to understand, embrace and capitalize on change and lead others through change