Located at the heart of Stags Leap District, the original Stags’ Leap Winery (est. 1893) continues a proud winemaking heritage in the prestigious appellation that bears the winery name. At this 240-acre estate, a unique terroir and an ideal microclimate support a classical standard of viticulture, land use and winemaking that is as relevant today as it was a century ago.
This cellar worker would execute all grape, juice and wine movements from crush to the bottle. Duties to include topping, crush equipment and press operation, barrel work, tank racking, wine transfers, chemical additions, sanitation, fining, filtering, forklift operation and bottling. This will include (but not limited to):
- Perform juice, wine, and pomace movements using all winery process equipment (e.g. pumps, presses, etc.).
- Clean and sanitize tanks and processes equipment.
- Operates forklift as required.
- Performs barrel work, both hand stacking and machine stacking (barrel racks).
- Executes yeast and chemical additions.
- Completes cellar work orders and other paperwork in a thorough and timely manner.
- Perform all cellar sanitation according to SOP, including tank washing, hose and equipment washing, floor washing, barrel washing, and SO2 gassing
- Ability to train Wine Tech 1’s as well as temporary interns by following company SOP’s
- Maintains a safe, clean, and well-organized work area.
- Furnishes lab with wine/juice samples for analysis.
- Responsible for bottling set-up, running the bottling line, loading/unloading trucks of bottling supplies or finished product as required.
- Know how to ship and receive bulk wine, including accurate completion of all necessary paperwork.
- Maintain a safe working environment at all times by following all corporate QHSE requirements and using and maintaining all PPE. Must report all accidents and potentially hazardous scenarios to a supervisor immediately.
- Willing to serve on the ZHC Committee and attend regular scheduled safety meetings.
- Provide supervision to temporary workers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Have an understanding of fruit processing and fermentation
- Exhibit great attention to detail
- Work well as a team member
- Be dependable and flexible to work overtime and weekends
- Forklift skills and/or certification is required
- Able to understand English: written and verbal directions
- Proficiency in basic mathematics required as well as computer use (i.e. Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Able to perform strenuous physical labor as described above
- Previous experience in cellar/winemaking is required
- Must be at least 21 years of age