Located at the heart of Stags Leap District, the original Stags’ Leap Winery (est. 1893) continues a proud winemaking heritage in the prestigious appellation that bears the winery name. At this 240-acre estate, a unique terroir and an ideal microclimate support a classical standard of viticulture, land use and winemaking that is as relevant today as it was a century ago.
This position works as an entry level member assisting the cellar team to execute all grape, juice and wine movements from crush to the bottle. Duties include topping, crush equipment and press operation, barrel work, wine transfers, chemical additions, sanitation, fining, forklift operating and bottling. Wine Tech 1’s will be exposed to all facets of winery work. This will include (but not limited to):
- Perform juice, wine, and pomace movements using all winery process equipment (e.g. pumps, crushers, presses, etc.).
- Clean and sanitize tanks and processes equipment.
- Operates forklift as required.
- Performs barrel work, both hand stacking and machine stacking (barrel racks).
- Executes yeast and chemical additions.
- Completes cellar work orders and other paperwork in a thorough and timely manner.
- Maintains a safe, clean, and well-organized work area.
- Furnishes lab with wine/juice samples for analysis.
- Willing to work overtime when necessary.
- Willing to serve on the ZHC Committee and attend regular scheduled safety meetings.
- Must report all accidents and potentially hazardous scenarios to a supervisor immediately.
- Provide supervision to temporary workers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Exhibit great attention to detail
- Work well as a team member
- Be dependable and flexible to work overtime and weekends
- Forklift skills and/or certification is a plus
- Able to understand English: written and verbal directions
- Proficiency in basic mathematics required
- Able to perform strenuous physical labor as described above
- Previous experience in cellar/winemaking is a plus
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs